Prophetic Dirt Patch

In an attempt to excite the workplace, I made a haiku suggestion box.  I took it from job to job, and for the most part it was frowned upon.  Little did I know that one day it would introduce me to one of the most talented poets I've ever read and had the pleasure of knowing.  She turned me onto Kobayashi Issa, who I would like to pass on to anyone who reads.

The pheasant cries
as if it just noticed
the mountain.

Last time, I think,
I'll brush the flies
from my father's face.

The man pulling radishes
pointed my way
with a radish.

This moth saw brightness
in a woman's chamber--
burnt to a crisp.

These sea slugs,
they just don't seem
Japanese.

A bath when you're born,
a bath when you die,
how stupid.

Seen
through a telescope:
ten cents worth of fog.

The moon tonight--
I even miss
her grumbling.

Writing shit about new snow
for the rich
is not art.





Comments

  1. Wow. I really like those haikus. And I wish we had something like a haiku suggestion box. We tried doing music trivia but it was a distraction so the boss made us take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I love haikus. I've had a couple of my own poems "published" in the online literary journal 'apt'. I used to post a lot of my poetry and prose on MySpace, but I haven't written anything but a few songs in a good while. I'll share some of my work with you somehow if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pixie, what was music trivia like? A guess the lyrics or who wrote the song kinda thing?

    Rock, you should absolutely share it with me! Haikus are wonderful, do you also like limericks? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently posting some of my poetry and pose to my blog. I used to keep it on myspace, but I no longer understand myspace. If you're interested in reading some of what I've put together over the last 5 years, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock, I've been MIA for about a week but I'll be sure to comment once I've caught up on my reading! <3 Thanks for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts